There are 2 problems with most magnetic travel chess sets: they have weak magnets, and there’s nowhere convenient to put the captured pieces! I’ve lost bishops in bed sheets, kings in couches, and many pawns are certainly buried at the beach.
Here is a novel box design with strong, neodymium magnets and two doors that open into trays, or “graveyards” as they have been dubbed. They’re perfect for holding the captured pieces! They even hold cell phones, game clocks, & drinks! This is exactly what’s needed when there’s no table.
- Pictures include 1 box made from solid cherry and walnut, 1 box made entirely of walnut, and 1 box made of pine.
- All have an 8″ walnut & maple chess board. Other woods available are cherry, and mahogany.
- Strong magnets hold the pieces centered and secure on each square (even upside-down), and also hold the box closed.
- Includes 2 armies of great plastic chess pieces, and 2 pouches to store the pieces safely inside the box!
- Lacquered, and water resistant!
Perfect for planes, trains, backseats, backyards, beaches, couches, pools! Just large enough for a quality game experience, but small enough for convenient travel.
- Box Dimensions: ~9″ x 9″ x 1 5/8″ closed, ~9″ x 18″ x 3/4″ open.
- Board: 8″ x 8″ x 3/16″ with ~1″ squares.
- Hardware: 4 hinges, 68 magnets
- 32 chess pieces, 2 storage pouches. King height 1.9″ with .70″ base.
- Satin lacquer finish.
- Wood species and features can be customized! *contact for pricing